The recipe can be adapted to suit your taste preferences. So add in whatever dried fruit you like or whatever nuts you like. Please share the results as I am always open to testing new recipe ideas. I think I will add a bit of coconut to mine next time. Also, the recipe calls for an 8" square tin, which I didn't have, so I used two loaf tins. Worked out well as they were then really easy to cut into bars (or half bars!!)
The Ultimate Cereal Bar
225g rolled jumbo porridge oats
75g sunflower seeds
100g dried fruits
50g roughly chopped skin-on almonds
25g sesame seeds
25g Rice Krispies
75ml sunflower oil
75g runny honey
50g light muscovado sugar
- In a large bowl stir together the porridge oats, sunflower seeds, dried fruits, almonds, sesame seeds and Rice Krispies. Mix well.
- In a small pot stir together the oil, honey and muscovado sugar and heat until boiling. Immediately stir the hot liquid into the dry mixture until everything is completely coated. Take your time to make sure that all of the dry ingredients have properly coated.
- Tip into a 20.5cm (8") square tin lined with baking parchment and press down as firmly as you can.
- Bake at 150C (fan oven) for 30-35 minutes until golden.
- Leave to cool in the tin then take out and cut into bars.
These will keep for 1 week in an airtight container. They are perfect as a snack or for someone who doesn't have much time for breakfast (the most important meal of the day - after dessert!!)
Have fun with it and let me know how you get on.